09 June, 2014

Dress the Part

I've been writing about the notecard in my wallet.  It contains a few short phrases that serve as philosophical reminders about how to live life in the day to day.

The third reads, "Know thyself and then dress the part."

I lifted it directly from Epictetus' Discourses (3.1.25).

Both the literal and metaphorical readings are found in the original text.

In my literal interpretation I go in a different direction than Epictetus but one that agrees in spirit.  Times, as they say have changed.

I think there is something to be learned from those workmen, from surgeons to carpenters, who
Does the function reflect or serve your identity?
chose to clothe themselves according to the practical considerations of their occupation.  Know thyself, know what your day will look like, and dress for the practical execution of the day's work.

I'm not against diversity of color or design but, for myself, color, design and basic construction should serve the my function in the human community that day.  The human community is not served by my attempt to impress with expensive jeans.  It is served when I am able to do my job more efficiently.  In my line of work, black is a very efficient color because it will hide so many stains, including the coffee I am prone to spill on myself.

My pay job includes interacting with the public so I must present a certain facade of professionalism in addition to doing my work professionally.  Still, the clothes must first serve the function of the job.  Secondly they must not deter members of the public who will see appearance before function.  Personal style is, at most, a third consideration.

Philosophical advice should always pragmatic advice; know thyself; then dress the part.

This is not self-evident.  From yoga pants worn by nursing home staff, open sandals in hospitals, neckties worn by factory middle management as they tour machinery, high heels worn, well, anywhere and any occasion.  In terms of fashion we are often driven by our passions and if your work exists within the physical world, it impacts your ability to do that work.



Reading the first chapter of book three of the Discourses it is evident that Epictetus is concerned with metaphorical concept of how we choose to clothe ourselves.  Just as the apostle Paul encouraged his students to "clothe themselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience," Epictetus is encouraging the recipient of his instruction to clothe themselves with excellence or virtue, namely justice, temperance, and self-control.

Judge me by my clothes do you?
Know thyself as a homo sapien; and what is it that makes a human being lovely?  Is it not their character more than the label on their pants?  Is it not their ability to serve the community according to their ability more than their ability to consume according to their means?

Of course the corollary is also true, we should just as stringently avoid judging a man or woman by their clothes, car, or other consumables they clothe themselves.  Instead we should "look through the dirt and judge a man by his work."

Part Four: Expect the Expected


No comments:

Post a Comment